Didn't I put it in the title?! Well, this is my blow-by-blow account of my experience with Java, Linux and other Copyleft stuff. Blogging to take the FUD away!

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Installing Linux in a Dell Inspiron 6000

Windows is crap but I have to use it at work. I really don't have a choice. To scratch my itch, I decided to install Linux in my company-provided laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 6000. I never really thought it was that challenging.

My first try was with Ubuntu Breezy Badger. It was just released at the time of my install. If I'm not mistaken it's just a few days since it was available for download. Hmmm...I thought it was kind of interesting. It's a relatively new distro as I just have heard of it a few months back. Known for its ease of use, Ubuntu was the right choice since I will just be using at home. I downloaded a CD from the net and managed to burn myself a copy. Damn Internet is fast here! I was able to get a copy for just an hour.

My laptop was already for the install since I already had it partitioned. Partitioning is actually good practice even you are solely using the OS from the Dark Side. Your files will eventually get corrupted and you need to reinstall XP again. I don't know if this by design. Anyway, I got my CD and started my first ever experience with Ubuntu. To my surprise, what I saw was a crappy menu. Last time I saw this was when I was installing Debian. I think Ubuntu is based in Debian anyway. Well, I really wasn't disapppointed. Just surprised. I even like it because it is fast to load. Going through the menu is pretty straightforward.

After a few minutes I got Ubuntu up and running in my Dell. Since most connections here are WIFI-enabled I had to try if I can browse the net. Wow! It was working! Ubuntu would ask while installing if you have a WIFI connection and configures it for you. I had to sleep so I turned off my machine and rest. I had sweet dreams since I it was a success.

When I was at work the next day, my damned WIFI connection won't work. I probably missed out something in the configuration. So I was really pissed off. I know I missed something so I was kind of disappointed with myself. I searched the Internet using our LAN and looked for some people who encountered the same problem. Unfortunately, I found no solution. I was really puzzled because I can browse access points using iwlist. For some reason, I can't authenticate using WEP or WPA. I never got an IP address from the DHCP server. I never gave up and tried reinstallng the drivers. I got this tutorial from a list.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26623

It was a nice read but it didn't work for me :-(

So since I heard someone made this Dell model worked with Fedora Core 3, I tried that option. I was able to install it. I followed this tutorial and it worked! My WIFI rocks!

http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml

So you think I'm done eh?!

After successfully installing FC3, I ran Gnome. Some applications hang like shit! I got this when running GAIM. It's like those things you get in Windows. All you get is blank windows. I thought it was a GTK problem so I upgraded some libraries using Redhat's online update. I can't remember what's it exactly called. I left it overnight. When I started it up at work, damn it won't boot! I knew I messed it up.

Well, I'll try install again now and see how it goes. Installing in my Dell is a pain! I never got this with an HP.

To be continued.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mikey C said...

"antithesis of the platform the original kernel was designed to simulate". What do you mean?

8:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home